GA-FIT's Drought Source Water Alternatives Program
Am I eligible for Drought SWAP?
Drought SWAP is currently taking applications from farmers that want to have alternative groundwater sources installed for drought periods on their operations in the Flint River Basin. The current application window closes on October 31, 2023.
The following are the conditions for eligibility in Drought SWAP:
- You own or operate an active surface water irrigation withdrawal(s) in the project area (map).
- Each withdrawal you would like to submit has a current agricultural withdrawal permit from the Georgia Environmental Protection Division.
- Each withdrawal you would like to submit has an agricultural water use meter.
- You are willing to contribute a cost-share amount to the installation of the new well(s) and related infrastructure (10% cost share). If you would like to learn more about cost-share amounts, please contact us by email ([email protected]) or phone (229-430-2900).
- If you do not own the land on which the withdrawal is located, the owner will agree to participation in Drought SWAP.
If you meet these criteria, you can submit an application for Drought SWAP. Before you start the application, you will need to have the meter serial number(s) for your withdrawal(s) to complete the application. Need help finding your meter serial number? Click here.
Drought SWAP is a large project and, given the anticipated interest and availability of resources, it will be several years before all the wells are installed. The GA-FIT team will work to keep applicants informed about program progress and the status of applications. The project is targeting field installations from 2023 to 2026.
Need more info?
Get in touch
Phone: (229) 430-2900